2015 Book Prizes to Be Awarded
The AAIS will award up to four Book Prizes for 2015. The categories are:
- Renaissance, 18th and 19th Century
- 20th and 21st Century
- Film and other Media Studies
Please send 5 copies of your volume (or bound photocopies if the publisher cannot spare additional copies) by February 10, 2016 to: Norma Bouchard, College of Arts and Letters, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182-6060.
2014 Book Prizes Awarded
Four AAIS Book Prizes were awarded at the conference in Zurich for the best books in Italian studies published in 2014:
- Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque: Guido Ruggiero, The Renaissance in Italy (Cambridge)
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century: John Bessler, The Birth of American Law: An Italian Philosopher and the American Revolution (Carolina Academic Press)
- Twentieth and Twenty-First Century: David Forgacs, Italy’s Margins: Social Exclusion and Nation Formation since 1861 (Cambridge University Press)
- General: Rocco Rubini, The Other Renaissance: Italian Humanism between Hegel and Heidegger (The University of Chicago Press)
2013 Book Prizes Awarded
Three AAIS Book Prizes were awarded at the conference in Zurich for the best books in Italian studies published in 2013:
- Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque: Paolo Squatriti, Landscape and Change in Early Medieval Italy: Chestnuts, Economy and Culture (Cambridge University Press).
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century: Steven Soper, Building a Civil Society (Toronto UP).
- Twentieth and Twenty-First Century: Gaia Giuliani and Cristina Lombardi-Diop, Bianco e nero; Storia dell’identità razziale degli italiani (Le Monnier).
2012 Book Prizes
TWO AAIS Book Prizes were awarded at the conference in Eugene for the best books in Italian studies published in 2012:
- Pierpaolo Antonello. Contro il materialismo. Le “due culture” in Italia; bilancio di un secolo. Turin: Aragno
- Eleonora Stoppino. Genealogies of Fiction: Women Warriors and the Dynastic Imagination in the Orlando furioso
Previous Book Prize Winners
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Marcia B. Hall, The Sacred Image in the Age of Art (Yale UP, 2011)
- 18TH/19TH CENTURY: Paola Gambarota, Irresistible Signs: The Genius of Language and Italian National Identity (UP Toronto, 2011)
- 20TH CENTURY: Philip Cooke. The Legacy of the Italian Resistance (Palgrave 2011) (Toronto UP)
- GENERAL: Dennis Looney, Freedom Readers. The African American Reception of Dante Alighieri and the Divine Comedy (Notre Dame UP, 2011)
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Heather Webb: The Medieval Heart (Yale UP)
- 18TH/19TH CENTURY: Francesca Savoia: Fra letterati e galantuomini (Societa’ Editrice Fiorentina)
- 20TH CENTURY: Michelangelo Sabatino: Pride in Modesty: Modernist Architecture and the Vernacular Tradition in Italy (Toronto UP)
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Meredith Ray: Writing Gender in Women’s Letter Collections of the Italian Renaissance (U Toronto P)
- 20TH CENTURY: Lina Insana: Arduous Tasks: Primo Levi, Translation, and the Transmission of Holocaust Testimony (U Toronto P)
- FILM: Giorgio Bertellini: Italy in Early American Cinema: Race, Landscape, and the Picturesque (Indiana UP)
- GENERAL: Andrea Mirabile: Scrivere la pittura: La ‘funzione Longhi’ nella letteratura italiana (Longo)
2008: Cinzia Blum. Rewriting the Journey in Contemporary Italian Literature: Figures of Subjectivity in Progress. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2007: Guido Bonsaver. Censorship and Literature in Fascist Italy. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2006: Gabrielle Langdon. Medici Women: Portraits of Power, Love, and Betrayal. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2005: Christian Moevs. The Metaphysics of Dante’s Comedy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2004: John Picchione. The New Avant-Garde in Italy: Theoretical Debate and Poetic Practices. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2003: Luca Somigli. Legitimizing the Artist: Manifesto Writing and European Modernism, 1885-1915. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2002: Nicoletta Pireddu. Decadenza ed economia simbolica nell’Europa fin de siècle. Verona: Edizioni Fiorini.
2001: Massimo Lollini. Il vuoto della forma. Scrittura, testimonianza e verità. Genua: Marietti.
2000: Olivia Holmes. Assembling the Lyric Self: Authorship from Troubadour Song to Italian Poetry Book Minneapolis: U of Minnesota Press.