2014 Book Prizes to Be Awarded
The AAIS will award up to four Book Prizes for 2014. The categories are:
- Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque
- 18th/19th Century
- 20th/21st Century (with films, etc.)
Please send 5 copies of your volume (or bound photocopies if the publisher cannot spare additional copies) by February 10, 2015 to: Norma Bouchard, Department of Modern and Classical Languages, Oak Hall East SSHB, 365 Fairfield Way, The University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269.
2013 Book Prizes Awarded
Three AAIS Book Prizes were awarded at the conference in Zurich for the best books in Italian studies published in 2013:
Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque
Paolo Squatriti, Landscape and Change in Early Medieval Italy: Chestnuts, Economy and Culture (Cambridge University Press).
Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century
Steven Soper, Building a Civil Society (Toronto UP).
Twentieth and Twenty-First Century
Gaia Giuliani and Cristina Lombardi-Diop, Bianco e nero; Storia dell’identità razziale degli italiani (Le Monnier).
2012 Book Prizes
TWO AAIS Book Prizes were awarded at the conference in Eugene for the best books in Italian studies published in 2012:
Pierpaolo Antonello. Contro il materialismo. Le “due culture” in Italia; bilancio di un secolo. Turin: Aragno
Eleonora Stoppino. Genealogies of Fiction: Women Warriors and the Dynastic Imagination in the Orlando furioso
Previous Book Prize Winners
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Marcia B. Hall, The Sacred Image in the Age of Art (Yale UP, 2011)
- 18TH/19TH CENTURY: Paola Gambarota, Irresistible Signs: The Genius of Language and Italian National Identity (UP Toronto, 2011)
- 20TH CENTURY: Philip Cooke. The Legacy of the Italian Resistance (Palgrave 2011) (Toronto UP)
- GENERAL: Dennis Looney, Freedom Readers. The African American Reception of Dante Alighieri and the Divine Comedy (Notre Dame UP, 2011)
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Heather Webb: The Medieval Heart (Yale UP)
- 18TH/19TH CENTURY: Francesca Savoia: Fra letterati e galantuomini (Societa’ Editrice Fiorentina)
- 20TH CENTURY: Michelangelo Sabatino: Pride in Modesty: Modernist Architecture and the Vernacular Tradition in Italy (Toronto UP)
- MEDIEVAL, RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE: Meredith Ray: Writing Gender in Women’s Letter Collections of the Italian Renaissance (U Toronto P)
- 20TH CENTURY: Lina Insana: Arduous Tasks: Primo Levi, Translation, and the Transmission of Holocaust Testimony (U Toronto P)
- FILM: Giorgio Bertellini: Italy in Early American Cinema: Race, Landscape, and the Picturesque (Indiana UP)
- GENERAL: Andrea Mirabile: Scrivere la pittura: La ‘funzione Longhi’ nella letteratura italiana (Longo)
2008: Cinzia Blum. Rewriting the Journey in Contemporary Italian Literature: Figures of Subjectivity in Progress. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2007: Guido Bonsaver. Censorship and Literature in Fascist Italy. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2006: Gabrielle Langdon. Medici Women: Portraits of Power, Love, and Betrayal. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2005: Christian Moevs. The Metaphysics of Dante’s Comedy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2004: John Picchione. The New Avant-Garde in Italy: Theoretical Debate and Poetic Practices. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2003: Luca Somigli. Legitimizing the Artist: Manifesto Writing and European Modernism, 1885-1915. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
2002: Nicoletta Pireddu. Decadenza ed economia simbolica nell’Europa fin de siècle. Verona: Edizioni Fiorini.
2001: Massimo Lollini. Il vuoto della forma. Scrittura, testimonianza e verità. Genua: Marietti.
2000: Olivia Holmes. Assembling the Lyric Self: Authorship from Troubadour Song to Italian Poetry Book Minneapolis: U of Minnesota Press.